Wednesday, June 2, 2010

GTN Triathlon Race Report Part 2

This is a continuation of my race report and is the actual report of the race.
After I got my race packet and number marking I took my bike and the rest of my stuff into the transition area.  The transition area can be a little intimidating.  Everyone is setting up all their stuff and everyone has a different system.  Everything I had read told me to do my own thing and not pay attention to anyone else.  This was easy because my way was the best way anyway.
After I got my transition area set up I put on my shoes and went for a little run to warm-up, stretched and then spent a little more time with Renee, Liam, and Erin before it was time for the competitors to enter the transition area to get ready for the race start. (My Transition area is on the left in the picture to the right)
Looking around I felt like i was standing amidst a pod of seals.  Most everyone had a wetsuit except me and the woman standing next to me.  At that point the nervousness really started to set in.  I breathed deeply and started to shake myself out.  A volunteer was walking by and must have seen it in my eyes because she stopped, looked at me and said "You'll be fine"
We were herded much like cattle down to the beach and instructed that we had five minutes to warm up and get acclimated to the water.  I rushed in nervous that I might run into the same problem I have had with previous open water swims.  The water is so cold that it takes my breath away.  The water was a brisk 66 degrees.  This was not nearly as bad as the 55 I had been in Lake Wallenpaupack the week before.
I gathered with my wave and we entered the water.  This was it.  I kept repeating in my head one of the last things Renee had told me before the race-"Race your own race."
The gun went off and the 45 men in my wave took off.
I had heard about the kicking and hitting that usually goes on during the first moments of the swim taking off but you don't really understand it til you are in it.  Honestly, it's not that bad.  Everyone is just trying to go in the same direction at the same time.  The only trouble is you cannot really get into a rhythm.  By the time I was able to get my bearing straight I found myself at the back of the pack-this was mildly disheartening, but I kept plugging along.  After the first buoy I started to pass people.  I looked to the left and saw a couple guys from my wave doing the breast stroke, on my right a guy just floating on his back.  Rounding the second buoy I continued to pass other guys from my wave and make my way toward shore.  My mantra for the swim was "Race your race" (thank you sweetheart).  I emerged from the water winded but determined to continue on.  My whole body screamed "Just walk fast and catch your breath" but my heart refused to yield.
I came into the first transition heard Renee cheering for me and filming(video will come later).  T1 went very smooth except for the tongue of my right shoe going further down than I would have liked.  Once corrected I grabbed the bike and off I went.
The first part of the bike course was pretty rough but once we got out onto the main road things got a lot smoother.  As I got into my rhythm I found that I began to pass a bunch of people from the two waves ahead of me.  This was a huge confidence booster.  I played leap frog with a couple of people but for the most part once I passed someone they were gone.  at around mile 7 I ended up riding with a guy in a blue trisuit.  We chatted for a bit about the beautiful countryside then about the big hill coming up.  I asked him if he wanted to race, he said "Sure, loser buys the winner a drink" needless to say I never saw him again.  I still owe him a drink.
The big hill came and went and was pretty brutal.  I passed a couple people walking their bikes up.  My heart, again, would not let me do such a thing.  as I buzzed downhill at mile 10 a Honda Element passed me then made a right turn right in front of me! I did a little yell more because I was buzzing along at 23 mph and had to slam on my brakes.  It was very frustrating. 
The rest of the bike leg went very well.  I was very happy with my pace and by mile 14 felt I was really getting into my groove.  The words Imago Dei popped into my head.  This is a Latin phrase that means "Image of God."  I was pumped by this.  The idea that we are made in the image of the most powerful being in the universe can really get your psyche amped.  Coming into the last mile of the bike leg I felt unstoppable.
I found out quickly that just because you are made in the Image of God, does not mean you are God.  I parked my bike and took off for my run.  As I came out of the transition area I saw my cheering section with Liam holding a sign that said "Go Daddy!"  The push from my friends/family was just what I needed because right then I felt an excruciating pain start to course through my calf muscles.  With every step I felt as if my calves were going to freeze up right on the spot.  I said to myself, just keep running, they will loosen up....I hope.  After a mile they did, but not after all previous waves buzzed past me like I was standing still.  I got as second wind as I came around the 1.5 mile point.  I grabbed some water and dug in.
When I got off the rail trail and back onto pavement the adrenaline kicked in and I pushed with everything I had left to the finish line.
As I crossed the finish line I was overcome with this sense of relief, exhaustion, pride, and whatever else.  My mind did not really know what to do or think and so I defaulted to a bit of crying-not much, but those who know me know I am a cry baby.  I thanked God for the ability to compete and exercise and do all that I had just done.
At first I was not overly pleased with my time but this is what the final split was: (the split is a separation of the times)
Swim 10:06 Pace-2:03/100
T1 1:41
Bike 53:39  Pace 17.9mph
T2 :41
Run 25:54 Pace 8:21/mile
Final Time 1:32:01
Placed Overall 207/588 Age Group 24/45

I was definitely surprised at my run time as I usually train at around a 9+ pace and I thought my legs were going to give up on me.
After the race I went and enjoyed some fried food at a place called the Blue Bird Inn near Mt.Gretna with my cheering section.  Thankfully Liam slept in my arms through most of lunch (he was apparently a very tough to deal with during Daddy's race).  A big thank you to Renee, Liam, Emily, Brendan, and Erin for coming out to support me.
Renee asked if I would do this one again.  I think I will.  It was very well organized and very first timer friendly.  The bike course is mildly challenging and the run gives a great opportunity for a PR.  Next on the docket in the Sebagoman Olympic Triathlon on August 21.  Stay tuned for updates on my training and thought about the upcoming race.

No comments:

Post a Comment